Monday, September 03, 2012

Potato Basil Soup

My cousin Sarah is getting married and I wanted to make something special to take to her shower.   This soup is perfect for a raining day and a nice ladies brunch. The key is to use fresh herbs and I add some italian grinder for extra flavor.  I love this recipe because you do not use any cream but you get that cream feel. I like a more chunky soup so I blend half the batch in a blender and slightly mash the other half. This is the recipe I start with:

Potato Basil Soup
created by: Best loved recipes of all time
Need:
1/2 cup Wesson Vegetable Oil
3 cups of celery chopped
1 1/2 cups of onion = to small onion
1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
4 cups of Chicken broth
You can use any kind of potato but I like 15 Honey Golds
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
1/4 teaspoon of italian grinder

extra flair grated fontina cheese

In a large saucepan, heat your oil until hot; saute the celery, onion, and garlic until tender.  Stir in chicken broth, potato, parsley, basil, and pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer covered for 20 mins or until the potato are tender.  Pour half the mixture into blender; puree until smooth.  Set aside.  Pour remaining soup in the blender until you coarsely chopped it. Combine the mixtures. Ladle into bowls and enjoy.

Makes 8 cups
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins

This soup reheats really well.  This is a family favorite. From my house to yours Enjoy!


No comments: