This weekend was the Discipleship Now Weekend at my church. We call it DNow for short. We have been praying and planning for this for several months. I did publicity for it, Jason organized all the houses for it, Janelle was the head honcho, Richard was in charge of food (no big surprise cookies were involved and his good cooking parents) and there was more folks but I am stuck with baby brain and I can’t remember what else was done.
The weekend finally came and I was a little nervous. I had five lessons to teach and I wasn’t sure who was in my group and who’s house I would be at. The type of kid really changes the way you teach so I really wanted to be ready for the girls. When I get to the church on Friday I find out, I have the 10-11th graders and I am with the Houston’s. I love the Houston’s. They are from MO and I really enjoy them as a couple. They have four kids. Three adopted from Korea and one was a wonderful surprise at age 39. Two of the teens are in our youth so they were busy hanging out at the DNow and Will and Shane hung around the house. They were so good to share their house with us girls.
Going into this I knew the ladies in my group might not know the Lord. Every time you have a weekend like this you never know. I prayed for them like crazy hoping to let them open their minds and hearts to Christ or at least the idea of wanting to know God on a more personal level. During DNow you have several bible studies, eat great food, have quiet time with God that we don’t always get to enjoy because life is so crazy and enjoy the fellowship. Saturday after lunch we had a missions scavenger hunt where we had to think of 7 acts of kindness to do for the community or the church in two hours.
My girls list:
1. Help collect grocery carts at the near by grocery store and help load the cars with grocery for the eldery
2. Get food for a church member who just had surgery and write him a encouraging letter
3.Write letters to the leaders of Dnow to let them know they made a difference
4. Buy flowers for the secretary to appreciate her.
5. Bake cookies for fire fighters to thank them for what they do
6. Made cards for the nurses and doctors that work with alztimers patients to encourage them.
7. Thank you card to the house parents for the weekend
1. Help collect grocery carts at the near by grocery store and help load the cars with grocery for the eldery
2. Get food for a church member who just had surgery and write him a encouraging letter
3.Write letters to the leaders of Dnow to let them know they made a difference
4. Buy flowers for the secretary to appreciate her.
5. Bake cookies for fire fighters to thank them for what they do
6. Made cards for the nurses and doctors that work with alztimers patients to encourage them.
7. Thank you card to the house parents for the weekend
On Sunday, we all joined together to have church and sat in the center of the church. As I sat there I hoped for a time for the girls to pronounce their faith if they had chosen Christ this weekend. Scott our youth minster started in that direction. He asked the leaders to stand around the youth to pray over them. The youth heads all down he said if you are ready to commit your life to Christ and ask for him to forgive you for all your sin lift your head no one is looking. To God be all the glory my ladies lifted their heads and just starred right to Scott for the next move. I started to cry. To see God glorified like that is so wonderful. He prayed with them and when he was done he said if any of you committed your life to Christ today go find a leader and talk to them. My girls hopped up and found someone to talk to. Lauren came up to me after church and she said, “Now Skillet Mama I can hang out with you in heaven forever too.” Sandra said, She felt a release and felt freed. Ash Bash told me to stop cryin… I told her they were tears of joy she said they are preggar tears.LOL I am thankful I got to be a part of that moment in their lives. I remember when I accepted Christ for the first time and I hope they never forget the time they did. As Christ followers we should all have a testimony to share. Did I mention it was the best weekend ever!
2 comments:
Rock on!
Are you sure you didn't google "brief jerky?" LOL :)
Post a Comment