Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Vivi approved Meal: Chicken Asparagus Stir Fry with Pot Stickers

Chicken Asparagus Stir Fry
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 10 mins because it is a stir fry a very quick way to cook things

2 Tablespoons of oil ( i use sesame oil for flavor)
1 tablespoon of chopped garlic clove
10 cm (4 in) piece of fresh ginger peeled, sliced thin
3 Chicken Breast fillets sliced (i used pork tonight for a change and it was awesome)
4 spring onions (scallions) sliced
7 oz fresh asparagus spears sliced on a diagonal (frozen would not be good FYI)
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
1/2 a red sweet pepper diced (something I added to this recipe)
I like a kick to my food so I added a sprinkle of red pepper flakes a little goes a long way

1. Heat a wok or large frying pan over high heat. A trick I learned about when your pan is heated to the right temp is touch the top of the rim not the side but the rim and if it is hot to touch the wok is heated all the way.

2.  Add oil and swirl to coat. Add the garlic, ginger, meat and stir fry for 1-2 mins or until the meat changes color.

3.  Add spring onion, asparagus, and red sweet pepper and stir fry for a further 2 mins or until the spring onions are softened.

4. Stir in Soy sauce and 1/4 cup of water, cover and simmer for 2 mins until the meat is tender and the veggies are slightly crisp.

Don't over cook the meat because dried meat is no good. The time suggested gets the meat cooked all the way through and without it drying out.

I served this with Liptons teriyaki rice for a quick rice fix but it would be good with any rice or hokkien noodles.

As a side dish I made pot stickers.

It warmed my heart to see my daughter loving every bite. Of course, Jason and I loved this meal and I can't wait to cook it again. Let me know what you think if you make it:)

No comments: