Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Wild Rice Soup

Hot batch at our house. It makes a great hearty soup for a cold rainy day such as this.  The house smells great and I have some to share with a friend who needs care. Some of the adjustments I did to the recipe are:
Uncle Bens 90 second rice. I used two bags.  I cooked my chicken(3 breasts) in butter and a rosemary citrus seasoning I have. Then I chopped it up for my soup. This adds great flavor. I laid some chicken aside for Sophie and Vivi to eat for dinner. They really liked it. Every time I start to chop carrots or celery for soup. Vivi loves to come in and steal a stalk of it. She watches me cook, tells me stories and chomps away. What a great way to eat veggies:) When she gets older I can't wait to get her in there with me chopping and chomping:)

Wild Rice Soup
Hands-On Time: 20min
Ready In: 1h 20min
Yield: 4-6 servings
pastedGraphic.pdf
Ingredients
  • 4 slices thick-cut bacon, diced
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 4 carrots, halved lengthwise and sliced
  • 2 celery sticks, halved lengthwise and sliced
  • 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper
  • 8 ounces sliced crimini mushrooms
  • 1 quart chicken broth, good quality
  • 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
  • 3 cups cooked wild rice
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup dry sherry, optional
Directions
  1. Heat a large stockpot over medium low heat. Add bacon and fry until bacon is crisp and fat is rendered, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
  2. To the fat add onion, carrots, celery, salt and pepper and sauté, stirring occasionally until tender and translucent, about 7-8 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes more. Stir in chicken broth, raise heat, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
  3. Uncover, and stir in chicken and cooked wild rice. Continue to cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in heavy cream and sherry, if using. Simmer an additional 5 minutes. Taste for seasoning. Ladle into bowls and top with crispy bacon.*Ingredient TipsLook for packages of pre-cooked wild rice at your grocery store. 

No comments: