Monday, November 15, 2010

One Young Women's Story

My cousin Brenna inspires me to stay strong no matter the circumstance.  She has had a really hard year and I wanted to share her testimony with all my readers.  It is hard to stay true to Gods plan when it means maybe losing something to gain Gods plan. Jer 29:11.  Mary gained alot in Luke 1:26 but she had to struggle. I am learning struggle is part of being a Christian and the best part is we don't do it alone. God keeps his promises and their is always hope.

Brenna's Story written by her:

Hello cyberspace, this is a brenna update in case you were wondering. I have forfeited the fight against insomnia and decided to write a note about my accident before I GET HASSLED AGAIN TO DO SO. I feel like I should make a blog or something because of how crazy these past couple of months have been. I would post pictures of all the horrific faces people make when they see my foot or have a counting total of how many stares i get when i go to the mall. Don’t you think that would be entertaining?? Until then i think i will stick with Facebook notes.

Well, well, well, where do we start? I guess lets first start off with the night i fell. i remember every little detail about that day and it is really scary to think i had no idea something bad was going to happen that night. To save you all the boring details, i will summarize my day. I was working as a lifeguard at lifetime fitness where i ran into one of my old friends and she invited me to hang out later that night, i readily agreed and you know how the rest of the story went. People ask me how far i fell but i have absolutely no idea, some people say 10 feet others say 30, so I’m going to call it a tie and say it was 20. lol. The reason i did it was because i caved into peer pressure and did what everyone else was doing, i am not a bad kid at all and proud of it, so please don’t be like my annoying plastic surgeon and label me right away.

            when i fell, all i remember was the force my back hit as it went into the ground. Surprisingly, i don’t remember falling on my foot at all. the first thing that went through my mind was that i was paralyzed because i felt a rush of energy go down my spine when i fell almost as is my whole body was shutting down. it was the absolute worst feeling in the world and i am so thankful that didn’t happen to me. as i Lay on the ground waiting for an Ambulance to arrive for 30 minutes, i remember crying and screaming on the top of my lounges, not because i was hurt but because i couldn’t play golf and i felt like i practiced so hard for nothing. i was so upset with myself that i did something i should not have. i was then transported to the emergence room at sluh and i remember doctors flying all around me trying to calm me down as i screamed for my parents.

 NO ONE UNDERSTOOD THE PAIN I WAS IN, ALL THE DOCTORS AND NURSES THOUGHT MY PAIN WAS FROM THE Fracture WHEN IN ACTUALITY IT WAS FROM THE LACK OF BLOOD FLOW TO MY FOOT. THEY ALL ROLLED THEIR EYES AT ME AND PRETENDED LIKE THEY COULDN’T HEAR ME CRY FOR HELP. IT IS SUCH A LONELY FEELING HAVING NO TRUST AND HOPE IN THE PEOPLE THAT WERE TAKING CARE OF YOU. I REMEMBER THE DAY SEVEN DOCTORS CAME AND TOLD ME MY FOOT WAS SLOWLY DYING AND I HAD A HIGH PROBABILITY OF LOSING IT. BEING TOLD YOU WILL LOSE YOUR FOOT IS LIKE SOMEONE POINTING A GUN TO YOUR HEAD, YOU GET THE SAME SICK FEELING INSIDE.

SO WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED WAS MY ACCIDENT CAUSED MY FOOT TO SWELL AND THE SWELLING CAUSED LACK OF BLOOD FLOW TO MY FOOT. TO REPAIR THE BLOOD FLOW, I WENT THROUGH 13 AWFUL SURGERIES TO REPAIR THE ARTERIES AND TAKE OUT ANY DEAD TISSUE. BEFORE YOU GO TO SURGERY YOU ARE IN THE SURGERY WAITING ROOM WERE THEY DOSE YOU UP WITH HAPPY MEDICINE SO YOU DON’T FREAK OUT RIGHT BEFORE SURGERY. a COUPLE MINUTES LATER THEY WHEEL YOU INTO THE SURGERY ROOM AND THEY STRAP YOU DOWN TO AN OPERATING BED. i REMEMBER LOOKING UP AT THE BRIGHT LIGHTS THAT WERE ON ME AND LOOKING TO THE LEFT OF ME AND SEEING ALL THE KNIVES. THE WORST PART ABOUT A SURGERY IS WHILE THEY ARE INJECTING YOU WITH ANESTHESIA ALL THE DOCTORS ARE STANDING ALL AROUND YOU WITH THERE ARMS CROSSED WATCHING YOU CRY, WAITING FOR YOU TO FALL ASLEEP.

I DON’T REMEMBER THE FIRST COUPLE OF WEEKS IN THE HOSPITAL THAT MUCH BECAUSE OF ALL THE PAIN MEDICINE I HAD, 4 PAIN KILLERS AT ONCE. (FENTENAL, OXYCODON, FLEXERIAL, AND PERCACET) people ask me all the time how i handle sitting in a bed for 31 days straight and all i say is that it didn’t bother me too much because when you are in so much pain nothing else bothers you.  If someone laid one finger on my bed my foot would move just a tad and i would start screaming. it wasn’t really the bones that hurt but rather the rods feeling like knives and the open wounds that gusted blood. i didn’t really do a lot while i was in the hospital. i didn’t read or watch TV. my day consisted of getting up at 11, having visitors, taking a nap, getting washed down and then going to bed.

 i went home with 3 open wounds that were connected to a wound vac. a wound vac is a suction connected to foam in the wound that sucks out all the bad stuff and promotes growth. i hated the wound vac so much because it made a really loud noise and carrying it around with me everywhere was a hassle. the three months while i was home the doctors were waiting for my wounds to close up and because of how bad the wounds were the process was a long time.

to this day, i have only one open wound that is not connected to a wound vac. When it closes i will be able to get my rods out, so wish me luck it is going to happen before Christmas! Because of how bad the bones broke the doctors think i will need an ankle fusion sometime and then after that i will probably get a skin graft. depending HOW PROGRESS GOES, WILL DETERMINE IF I WILL BE ABLE TO GO TO COLLEGE NEXT YEAR. my 3 MAIN GOALS FOR THE FUTURE ARE TO GET MY RODS OUT, GO BACK TO SCHOOL IN January, AND GO TO COLLEGE IN THE FALL.

EVEN THOUGH I SUFFERED A LOT, I FEEL LIKE I HAVE BECOME A BETTER PERSON BY APPRECIATING MY TRUE FRIENDS, BEING THANKFUL, AND LIVING EACH DAY TO THE FULLEST. MY ACCIDENT HAS SHOWED ME THAT GOD IS IN CONTROL AND HE IS ALWAYS TAKING CARE OF ME. I ALWAYS TRY TO KEEP A GOOD ATTITUDE, AND I HOPE MY ACCIDENT BRINGS CLOSER TO JESUS BECAUSE THEN EVERYTHING I WENT THROUGH WAS WORTH IT. BECAUSE GOD GAVE ME MY FOOT, I AM GOING TO GIVE HIM MY LIFE.

PHEW, NOW I AM REALLY TIRED AFTER TYPING ALL THAT. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT MY ACCIDENT YOU CAN ASK ME. ALL THE THINGS I HAVE TOLD YOU IS ONLY THE HALF OF IT SO I DON’T MIND QUESTIONS. MY MOM AND I HAVE POSTED PICTURES OF MY FOOT IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN LOOKING BUT I AM FOREWARNING YOU, IT IS VERY GRUESOME.


-Love, BRENNA :)

No comments: